Sunday, August 03, 2008

Maple Ridge Wind Farm DEC April 13, 2008 Letter by Clifford P. Schneider

April 13, 2008

Mr. Steve Tomasik
Energy Projects and Management
Division of Environmental Permits – 4th Floor
625 Broadway
Albany, NY 12233-1750

Dear Steve:

During our last phone conversation I mentioned that I was working on a report of the work I did last summer at Maple Ridge Wind Farm. Attached you will find my report “Accuracy of Model Predictions and the Effects of Atmospheric Stability on Wind Turbine Noise at the Maple Ridge Wind Power Facility, Lowville, NY – 2007.

As you will see, I found that most of the new ambient noise at Maple Ridge is attributable to wind turbines and it is significantly louder than was predicted by Atlantic Renewable in their DEIS. I think this is important because nearly all of the current wind farm projects use some variant of the model that Atlantic Renewable used to make their noise impact predictions. I am concerned and I don’t want to see the same problem arise here in Cape Vincent.
I have made a number of recommendations, some of which are directed toward NYSDEC. I hope you understand that I have nothing but the highest regard for the agency, but I think the noise issue is something that needs more attention.

I am going to try and get the message in my report out to as many interested parties as I can, so please don’t be surprised if you are asked about it from different sources. I also intend to send it along to Commissioner Grannis as well.

Thanks for any consideration you can give my comments, and I appreciate the tough job that you and others have with wind farm development in New York.

Sincerely yours,


Clifford P. Schneider
PO Box 165
Cape Vincent, NY 13618

No comments: