Saturday, October 24, 2009

Time for the winds of change in Cape

The enormous wind towers now predominating the landscape on Wolfe Island have changed my view of life in Cape Vincent forever. They represent a formidable look into our future. The incessant flashing of red lights have robbed me of peaceful sunsets and the joy of star-filled nights.

Giant industrial structures have contaminated the once beautiful gateway to the Thousand Islands. It is so difficult for me to believe that any intelligent person would even consider altering our quality of life to the same extent Wolfe Islanders have experienced. The people of Cape Vincent have been threatened with industrial wind towers for too long. We finally have a choice, and it is time for the winds of change.

It takes courage to run against incumbents in the town of Cape Vincent. If I were asked to write a description of an applicant's qualifications, it would say, "Wanted, candidates to run for public office. Candidates must have strong ethical standards, a history of successful business endeavors, a commitment to open and responsive government and great analytical and communication skills. An ability to represent people unbiasedly and respectfully is a must. Applicants must also be immune to harassment and character assassination. Only Towers of Strength need apply."

I have decided the only towers needed and wanted in Cape Vincent are those of strength. On Nov. 3, I will cast my vote for those who have had the courage and foresight to put people first in Cape Vincent. My choice is Urban Hirschey for supervisor and John Byrne and Brooks Bragdon for Town Council. Let's get back our rights as taxpayers and residents of Cape Vincent. Vote with me to have fair representation.

Janet Haskins

Cape Vincent

No comments: