Sunday, October 25, 2009

'Summer person' from the U. S. hopes she sees wind farm dismantled

The battles over wind farms in Ontario and New York State have had no shortage of press coverage. The battle lines are most often drawn between those who place a premium on scenic and historic preservation, property values and other quality-of-life factors, versus those who place a priority on the personal and municipal income the wind projects offer.

But the processes that decide these battles are seldom fair or transparent, and are skewed in favour of the few over the many. In vacation and recreational areas with many seasonal residents, that group of taxpayers is essentially excluded from shaping decisions. On Wolfe Island, there is the added factor that a good percentage of the "summer people" are, like me, U. S. citizens. Even though we pay taxes to the township, we are still only guests in a very real sense.

All we American citizens who are fortunate enough to have a place on Wolfe Island just want to be welcome as good neighbours. None of us forget that we are in a neighbouring country. Even though I could easily swim to U. S. waters from our place, I know and respect the fact that I have crossed a border into a place that is not my own to criticize and complain about as if it were my own. We are very reluctant and hesitant to inject our opinions into the local decision- making process. We appreciate the hospitality we receive and are grateful for it.

When you decide to invest in a vacation home outside your own country, certain compromises go along with that. You accept that you are not a part of the local democratic process. You can ask, but you can't demand -- and you can't vote.

So, a good number of Wolfe Island taxpayers are complete non-entities when it comes to local politics and policy. But when a massive, radical and unprecedented change to Wolfe Island-- the wind farm -- was under consideration, we summer people should have been paying more attention.

We heard vague talk a few years ago about the possibility of putting up 20 or so wind turbines on the far west end of the island overlooking the lake. Most of us thought we could live with that. But with minimal open process and publicity, the project mysteriously expanded almost fourfold to more than 80 turbines completely dominating the western half of the island and the view for miles around in all directions.

I only wish I had made my way to town meetings to speak up. I wish I had understood what was happening. If I had, I would have set aside my general reticence to inject my views into Wolfe Island business. My comments would have been unwelcome among some, but at least I would have felt like I was looking out for what I honestly believe is in the best interests of Wolfe Island's future and my family's precious retreat and adopted second home, where much of our money and sweat has been expended.

I am going to try to live long enough to see the Wolfe Island wind farm dismantled. I hope new technology will make it obsolete sooner than many think. I know the real productivity of it, in terms of producing reliable and consistent power, will come to be seen as a major disappointment. I know the cost to wildlife will come to be better understood. The size of the project has shocked many people who were expecting something much less intrusive and imposing.

I know for certain that the charm and special rural character of Wolfe Island has been badly damaged. The cost of giving away that quality will be made plain in the coming years.

Claire Jones
Charlotte, North Carolina

No comments: