Tuesday, February 27, 2007

This is My Land...I can do what I want

That seems to be a common quote I hear from landowners that want wind turbines on their land. Well, gee, I have 9.5 acres of land. I think I'll set up a go-cart track. Run lights around the property, bright ones, so they can run all night. I love live music, so I will put a stage in the center of it all, with bands playing until 2am. Cap it all off every night with a fireworks display. Of course we'll sell beer and other drinks. I can do that....right? No? Why not?

Oh, yeah, there's this thing called "zoning ordinances." I forgot about those. What the heck are they for? They're keeping me from building that cool track with all that neat stuff, and of course the money I make turns into tax revenues, boosts traffic in the area, great for tourism, what's the problem? Oh, these "zoning ordinances" are set up for the "general welfare?" Do you mean it's not just about me and my wants, that I have to consider my neighbors? Well, there's a concept.

(click to read entire article)

No comments: