Saturday, May 15, 2010

Orleans a step ahead of Clayton in evaluating wind turbines

The more I read and learn about wind farms, the more convinced I am that they are not usually covered by the media as honestly as Watertown Daily Times reporter Nancy Madsen has done, and the more I attend public meetings in the town of Clayton as well as the town of Orleans, the more respect I have for the supervisors involved.

I tip my hat to our Clayton group, but it must be added in all honesty, that Orleans is two steps ahead of us. Where Clayton has commendably stressed the health and safety aspects of turbines, they have ignored and rejected their own appointed committee resolutions and the town of Orleans not only follows those same resolutions, they have formed an active, experienced economic committee. This, to my knowledge, Clayton has yet to consider, much less to instigate or call for public hearings.

I have some experience with monitoring courtroom procedures, and have often listened as attorneys slowly and carefully build their cases. Observing the unwinding of the mind of a good attorney is rewarding, as the attorney patiently builds to a sudden convincing conclusion.

I attended the Orleans wind economics committee meeting on May 6 in LaFargeville. I watched and listened carefully as committee member Wendell C. Walldroff with that same legal intensity, confidently, quietly and courteously defined a model equation which proved that turbines are potential economic disasters, using his mathematics-based universal model, which fits one or 500 turbines, any size.

One fits all. I have to say that Mr. Walldroff is not an attorney, but he sure thinks like one. A good one. What a pleasure to witness a working committee so well conceived and so expertly conducted. OK, Orleans, you're ahead of us.

Nancy J. Murphy
Clayton

No comments: