Thursday, August 06, 2009

What made Cape Vincent great will be gone

Cape Vincent is where I grew up, and has always been my favorite place. I don't think I am alone in this sentiment. However, the proposed wind farm will certainly ruin the reason that Cape Vincent is so sacred and unique to people. More importantly, our future generations will never experience the natural beauty that this area is known for. It will be changed to an industrial nightmare. Many will not want to live or retire here as a result, and hence the legacy of families that settled and built this town will be lost forever. I have tried to remain neutral regarding the turbines, but there comes a time when you have to stand up for your rights.

Why do our town officials value the wind companies more than the citizens they represent? Furthermore, it's hard to understand why so many people are indifferent about the issue. Many people say, "I don't care one way or another because I won't see them from my house or from the village. They won't affect me." To me this translated to I don't care what happens to my neighbors or my community.

People in this town used to care about the well-being of their neighbors. Why has this changed so much? It's time more people started standing up for what is right for this town. What will Cape Vincent gain aside from some easy money? Since when was easy money a good thing, anyway? Times are tough, but that doesn't give people the right to do things that will adversely affect their neighbors' health, happiness, and land values.

The town as a whole needs more time before a decision is made that will forever change Cape Vincent for everyone. A one-year moratorium is not a lot to ask of our town officials. This would give us time to work together instead of against one another. If you are indifferent on the issue, think about how it will affect the whole town, not just yourself. Do we really want Cape Vincent to look and sound like Wolfe Island?

No comments: