Saturday, May 30, 2009

Councilman Kula's May 30, 2009 Reply Letter to Prattsburgh Supervisor McConnell

Steven R. Kula
11470 Davis Road
Prattsburgh, NY 14873
(607)522-3377
steve.kula@yahoo.com

May 30, 2009

J. Harold McConnell
Supervisor
Town of Prattsburgh
19 North Main Street
PO Box 427
Prattsburgh, NY 14873

Dear Supervisor:

I was pleased to get your response. You were, as always, self-serving and misleading, allowing me more opportunity to expose the truth to the public. I am surprised that you take such exception to my allegations of misconduct, with your decades-long history of such behavior.

You claim that I have used my “position as Town Councilman to disrupt Town Board meetings in order to grandstand and campaign…” Actually, I have used my position to seek accurate information and make informed decisions on behalf of our citizens, unlike former board members who have allowed you to do as you please from your position. I have strived to obtain all the information I possibly can from all sides of every issue we have faced over the course of the last year and a half. I have been elected to ask questions and make decisions on behalf of all of our citizens, and I intend to continue to do so. I have repeatedly attempted to work with you in a professional manner, only to be lied to and threatened by you and Mr. Leyden.

As for the purpose of the May 21st meeting, it was very clear that we voted to have a special Town Board meeting. We clarified this at our regular meeting on May 19th. Video of both meetings confirms this. Regarding the Open Meetings Law, if it is your position that it applied, why did the Town Clerk not take minutes of the proceedings?

You claim that I “chose to storm out” of the meeting. Actually, I very calmly walked out without incident when I found out that I once again would not be able to have the ability to ask questions of the developer. Don’t think for one second that I don’t know what happened. You have only seen that meeting once, as it was happening. I have carefully reviewed the video of the evening, taking notes of every misleading statement made. I noticed Ecogen representatives repeatedly refusing to answer questions, telling people that the information that they were looking for was “public information” and could be found at the IDA, the Town of Italy, online, etc. I have heard from citizens who have told me that their questions were not asked. I watched Mr. Burgdorf read comments from contractors who were not in the room, while skipping over questions from other citizens who had left in disgust. I am more than willing to make you a copy of the video of the meeting, as your recollection seems to be somewhat skewed from reality. There were only a handful of people at the meeting “pleased with the format.” The vast majority was absolutely disgusted that this type of behavior can be allowed take place.

As for the “numerous claims and statements from different purported sources” that I raised, Ecogen has never once asked me to provide any documentation to them. Mr. Leyden told me to submit my information when he attempted to stop me from asking any questions of Ms. Bottoni and Ms. Quigley regarding their trip to Canada. As I was not afforded the opportunity to take this trip, I thought that the information they gained should be shared with me, as well as the public. The truth is, I mentioned the source of every piece of information I had. I have repeatedly offered to share my information with members of the board, and any member of the public interested. I have written letters to the editor, letting the public know that I am available to answer their questions and explain my position at any time.

If you recall, at our special meeting (I believe on March 24th), Ms. Bottoni shared her concerns and made a number of statements. When I attempted to share my concerns and ask questions, the meeting was ended, at my objection. I have never been afforded the opportunity to ask questions of Ecogen representatives publicly.

It is unfortunate that you have chosen to turn this issue into a battle between you and I, because it is our citizens that will suffer the consequences of our actions, or inaction as the case may be. Harold, this is not about you and I, or any members of the board. The decisions that we are now making will have repercussions that will affect our town for decades to come. My anger does not stem from any personal feelings towards anyone. I simply do not understand how you could possibly justify refusing to even look at the facts.

It is ironic that you call my maturity into question, as you and our Town Attorney sat in the back of the room grinning and snickering at the concerns of the citizens that we represent. When I hear about our public being threatened with eminent domain (not road shoulders, but huge sections of their property), I take it seriously. When I hear one of our citizens voice her concerns about the health of her autistic son, I take it seriously. When I have citizens calling my house, stopping me on the street, and e-mailing me about their concerns, I take them seriously. The truth is, I don’t agree with much of what the anti-wind folks say or do, but I feel obligated to hear their concerns and treat them with respect.

It has been brought to my attention that you have not received Councilman Shick’s request for a special meeting. He has re-sent it via certified mail, as I did, and I expect to have a response from you soon.

At this meeting, I expect to be allowed to ask questions of Ecogen representatives, and share all of my concerns.

Sincerely,
Steven R. Kula
Town Councilman
Town of Prattsburgh

No comments: